It’s that time of the year again. In February, the James Beard Foundation announced its long list of semifinalists for the 2019 restaurant and chef awards. Locally, the semifinalists included a lot of names that have also appeared on the list in previous years, including Maura Kilpatrick (Sofra), Tony Messina (Uni), Cassie Piuma (Sarma), and more. Today, the Foundation announced its pared-down list of nominees — see below. On May 6, at a gala in Chicago, the winners will be announced.
Here are the New England nominees for 2019 James Beard Foundation restaurant and chef awards:
Best Chef: Northeast Nominees
- Tiffani Faison (Tiger Mama, Boston, Massachusetts)
- James Mark (North, Providence, Rhode Island)
- Tony Messina (Uni, Boston, Massachusetts)
- Cassie Piuma (Sarma, Somerville, Massachusetts)
- Benjamin Sukle (Oberlin, Providence, Rhode Island)
Faison, Messina, Piuma, and Sukle were also nominees in this category last year.
Outstanding Baker Nominee
- Maura Kilpatrick (Sofra Bakery and Café, Cambridge, Massachusetts)
Kilpatrick was also a nominee in this category last year.
Outstanding Restaurateur Nominee
Oringer was also a nominee in this category last year.
Outstanding Wine, Spirits, or Beer Producer Nominee
- Rob Tod (Allagash Brewing Company, Portland, Maine)
The Foundation also gives out media awards to food journalists, cookbook authors, and more; those winners will be announced at a separate event in New York on April 26, but the nominees were also announced today. Here are the local ones:
Books: Baking and Desserts Nominee
- Black Girl Baking: Wholesome Recipes Inspired by a Soulful Upbringing by Jerrelle Guy
Books: General Nominee
- Milk Street: Tuesday Nights by Christopher Kimball
Books: Health and Special Diets Nominee
- The Complete Diabetes Cookbook by the Editors at America’s Test Kitchen
Disclosure: Some Vox Media staff members are part of the voting body for the James Beard Foundation Awards.
• James Beard Foundation [Official Site]
• How the James Beard Awards Are Trying to Be More Diverse [E]