After years of contract brewing across New England, Backlash Beer Co. (152 Hampden St., Boston) finally has a home of its own. The Holyoke-born brewery unveils its long-in-the-works taproom in Roxbury on Thursday, September 20, slowly easing into business before celebrating with a grand opening sometime in October.
Backlash first debuted in 2011, and co-founders Helder Pimentel and Maggie Foley contract brewed at various facilities around the state before landing the Roxbury space in 2016. The buildout took some time and was not without its challenges, which were well-documented on the brewery’s Instagram page. As the buildout progressed over the last year and brewing equipment arrived, Backlash started producing several of the beers that will be on its opening list (including Bad Decision Juice) at the taproom, as well as canned and distributed around the area.
This week, Backlash will have seven draft beers available for purchase in the taproom, in addition to a selection of cans for takeaway. The taproom will be open Thursday through Saturday from 12 to 11 p.m. and Sunday from 12 to 8 p.m. See below for a full list of the opening tap offerings.
Following a similar model adopted at many other Boston breweries, Backlash will allow customers to order delivery to the brewery or bring in their own food. The brewery plans to set up a partnership with Mario’s Pizza, which opened recently in Roxbury, for deliveries, and Backlash will also sell snacks like chips for purchase in the taproom. Down the line, Backlash will also bring food trucks onsite.
While there is parking at the brewery, Backlash beers pack a punch, so visitors can rideshare or walk from either the Orange or Red MBTA lines (Ruggles or Andrew, respectively).
Folks can stay tuned to Backlash’s social media for updates on the brewery’s grand opening celebrations beyond this first week in business (or sign up for the mailing list).
Here’s the opening beer list (descriptions by Backlash):
- Bad Decision Juice: A big-drinking, lower ABV IPA with Citra, El Dorado, and Idaho 7 hops
- Roxbury: The final installment in our Neighborhood Series, a New England-style IPA made with Citra and Galaxy hops
- Allston: The first installment in our Neighborhood Series, a New England-style IPA made with Citra hops and Mosaic powder
- Groundswell: Our first beer ever, a light, Belgian-inspired ale with notes of clove, banana, and apple
- Grit: A smooth, bright pale ale with Citra hops
- Hostile Takeover: A big yet easy-drinking hop bomb with Citra, Mosaic, and El Dorado hops
- Easy, Killer: The first beer brewed in our new facility. A take on a German-style Pilsner.
View this post on Instagram
HOSTILE TAKEOVER RETURNS # We tweaked the recipe on this bad boy and are excited to re release it. Oh yea, and new branding as well. # HT will be available more consistently for you hop loving folks. Shipping in a few days, keep your peeled. # # #craftbeerporn #backlashbeer #ipa #dipa #beer