The menu at Hooked draws inspiration from street food, featuring Red’s Best and Boston Smoked Fish Company products (both of which will also be for sale on their own, not just in ready-to-eat dishes). From bagels topped with fish to shrimp salad sliders, white fish soup, and raw bar items, Hooked menu items come in around the $6 to $11 range. Raw bar oysters, clams, and pickled shrimp are available as single items ($1.50 or $2) or by the dozen.
The new restaurant and seafood shop is a collaboration between farmers market veterans Jason Tucker and Jimmy Rider. Tucker, also a licensed commercial fisherman, has run the farmers market presence for local seafood company Red’s Best for some time. Rider is the owner and operator of Evergreen Delivery, delivering Red’s Best fish shares and other farmers market products around town.
“We are hoping to provide Union Square with the freshest, highest quality seafood, with our primary focus on local fish,” Rider tells Eater.
Inside, the shop sports some decorative nautical designs, including the giant red tentacles of a sneaky cephalopod. The impressive mural, which spans from the front window to interior walls and the floor, is by local artist Blind Fox Art; Mandee Rae designed and painted the menu (see full details below); and Stuart Pitchel designed the exterior signage.
With next Friday’s opening, Hooked Fish Shop joins a growing number of vendors at Bow Market. Hot Box opened just last week serving North Shore roast beef and South Shore bar pizza, while other food and beverage establishments include Jaju Pierogi (pierogies and kielbasa), Buenas (empanadas), Maca (macarons), and Remnant Brewing. Rebel Rebel, a natural wine bar, is also on the verge of opening, as is chocolate shop Gate Comme des Filles, a vegetarian take on Boston’s french fry shop Saus, Filipino restaurant Tanám, and more.
After Friday’s opening, Hooked will be open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. that weekend, September 22 and 23, with something special for the annual Fluff Festival on Saturday. (Rider hints at the possibility of “oysters Fluffafella” or Fluff-glazed salmon.) While hours beyond that are not entirely finalized, Rider notes that it will likely operate from 4 to 9 p.m. on weekdays (but closed on Mondays) and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends.
Here’s Hooked Fish Shop’s opening menu:
• Lox, parsley-caper cream cheese, pickled onion, tomato
• Smoked bluefish paté, house pickles, greens
• Boston Smoked Fish salmon bacon BLT
• Tuna confit, house pickles
• Shrimp salad
Moqueca (cup or bowl)
• Brazilian-style white fish soup, coconut, cilantro, toasted garlic
New England Clam Chowder (cup or bowl)
• Thick and creamy with oyster crackers
• Herd Nerd aioli, crunchy farmers market vegetables (available as tacos, or option to add organic brown rice or local salad greens)
• Sesame, seaweed, scallion, organic Nama shoyu (available as tacos, or option to add organic brown rice or local salad greens)
Raw Bar (available single or by the dozen)
• Littleneck clams
• Pickled shrimp
Smoked and Cured Fish Platter (servings for two or four)
• Salmon bacon bluefish paté ceviche, pickled shrimp, and tuna confit (served with house pickles and brioche toast)
View this post on Instagram
It’s all coming together!! Thanks to @srpsigns and @blindfoxart for making us look so damn sexy. Our doors will be open for business SO SOON! Stay tuned and get ready to get hooked. #bowmarket #bowpeeps #letsbow #gethooked #hookedfishshop #unionsquare #somerville #comingsoon
• Bow Market Will Have a Seafood Shop With Poke Bowls, Fish Tacos, and More [EBOS]
• Hooked [Official Site]