James Beard season continues with today’s announcement of the 2017 nominee list, narrowed down from last month’s semifinalist list. The James Beard restaurant and chef awards are split into 21 categories and are decided in a series of rounds, starting with an entry period that’s open to the public. This year, the foundation received over 24,000 entries, which a committee narrowed down to the semifinalist list, keeping “eligibility and regional representation” in mind.
Today’s list of nominees was decided by an independent volunteer judging panel, and the same judges will also vote to determine the winners, who will be announced on May 1 in Chicago. A week earlier, the James Beard media awards will be given out in New York.
Here are the New England nominees for 2017 James Beard Foundation restaurant and chef awards:
- Maura Kilpatrick, Oleana (Cambridge, MA) — Outstanding Pastry Chef nominee
- Karen Akunowicz, Myers + Chang (South End, Boston, MA) — Best Chef: Northeast nominee
- Cassie Piuma, Sarma (Somerville, MA) — Best Chef: Northeast nominee
- Susan Regis, Shepard (Cambridge, MA) — Best Chef: Northeast nominee
- Benjamin Sukle, Birch (Providence, RI) — Best Chef: Northeast nominee
- Andrew Taylor and Mike Wiley, Eventide Oyster Co. (Portland, ME) — Best Chef: Northeast nominee
- Rob Tod, Allagash Brewing Company (Portland, ME) — Outstanding Wine, Spirits, or Beer Professional nominee
- Ken Oringer, Uni and more (Boston, MA) — Outstanding Restaurateur nominee
Plus, Legal Sea Foods’ Roger Berkowitz is being inducted into the James Beard Foundation’s Who’s Who.