Friday is here, and the weekend forecast is looking wonderful, so why not get out and try some new restaurants? We’re kicking off this weekend’s dining recommendations with a round-up of all the latest openings, and then we’ll highlight some events and more.
As always, we want to see what you’re eating, so don’t forget to use the hashtag #eaterboston on your Instagram photos of Boston-area food finds. We’ll regram some of our favorites.
Here are all the brand new restaurants to check out, ordered alphabetically and with a few sample menu items:
- Barismo 295 (Kendall Square, Cambridge): Cold brew on tap; pourovers; espresso.
- FoMu (Back Bay, Boston): Dairy-free ice cream in flavors such as chocolate pudding, avocado, and salted caramel.
- Hi B3ar (Allston, Boston): Thai-styled rolled ice cream in flavors such as Matcha Lady (matcha and red bean), Morning Call (coffee and chocolate chips), and blueberry.
- KoKo Bakery (Newton): Chocolate croissant; French country bread by the loaf; green tea cheesecake.
- The Local Fare (Arlington): A retail shop offering products such as nut milks, macaron, and "two-bite" cookies.
- Los Amigos Taqueria (Brighton, Boston): Create-your-own quesadilla; surf & turf burrito with grilled steak, grilled shrimp, and a variety of toppings; Baja-style fish tacos.
- Lucy’s American Tavern (Dorchester, Boston): Watermelon and arugula salad; ahi tuna poke; chicken and waffles.
- Mainely Burgers (Central Square, Cambridge): The "Mainah" burger (cheddar, sliced apple, sautéed onions, bacon, maple mayo); The Chicago hot dog (mustard, relish, sautéed onions, tomato, celery salt); fried Brussels sprouts (tamari, brown sugar, sesame seeds).
- Sakura Sunakku (Chinatown, Boston): Matcha cocoa crepe; shaved snow with strawberries, red bean, and strawberry drizzle; mango parfait with boba and jelly.
- Shake Shack (Seaport District, Boston): Seaport Salt & Malt concrete (chocolate custard, salted caramel sauce, Taza dark chocolate chunks, chocolate toffee, malt powder); Chick’n Shack with lettuce, pickles, and buttermilk herb mayo; ShackBurger with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and ShackSauce.
- Veggie Crust (Union Square, Somerville): Paneer Manchurian pizza (can be made vegan); vegan bolognese penne; coconut chai pistachio vegan "nice cream."
- Waypoint (Harvard Square, Cambridge): Goat’s milk gnudi with spigarello, fennel pollen, uni butter, and bottarga; caviar service with plankton and white corn blini, doughnut holes, and buttermilk; pig’s face pizza with pickled fennel, apple, and robiola.
Events and more:
- In the wake of the devastating earthquake in Italy this week, a number of local restaurants are fundraising to benefit the Italian Red Cross. Eat spaghetti all’Amatriciana; help Italy.
- It’s time for Sundaes on Saturday in the Boston Public Market’s Kitchen space. From 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, August 27, Crescent Ridge Dairy and Taza Chocolate will be on hand with sundae-making supplies. $5 gets you a sundae and a raffle ticket.
- Check out the second Szechuan Samurai pop-up at Commonwealth in Kendall Square, taking place at 6 p.m. on Saturday, August 27. $65/person for the five-course meal, which includes dishes such as spicy tuna hand rolls with Sriracha waffle cones; braised pork belly tacos; and green tea cake with spicy mango lychee. Reservations required; call (617) 945-7030.
- The Hawthorne is hosting its final Swizzle Sunday of the season this Sunday, August 28, from 5 p.m. to sundown. It’s a tiki-themed patio party — no ticket required; festive summer dress encouraged. Absolut brand ambassador Yuna Asriyan will be on hand, serving up beverages like the Easy Bake, which includes chocolate Rice Krispies. Also on the patio: throwback toys and games.
Maps and guides:
- Boston Dining 101: A Guide for Students and Visitors
- The Boston Outdoor Dining Guide
- The Boston Breakfast and Brunch Guide
- The 38 Essential Boston Restaurants, Summer 2016