FOOD & WINE announced its annual class of Best New Chefs this morning — eleven chefs who, according to the FOOD & WINE editors, are "poised to become the culinary stars of tomorrow." Alum include big names like Daniel Boulud, Thomas Keller, and April Bloomfield.
Locally, Tim Maslow of Ribelle makes the list, joining chefs from New York, Austin, Seattle, Chicago, and beyond. "He turned his family's sandwich shop Strip T's into a destination for quirky, umami-packed comfort food—and then followed it up at a new outpost serving outstanding Italian cuisine with David Chang-ian inflections," states the magazine. Ribelle, which earned a rare four-star review from the Globe's Devra First in October 2013, celebrates its second birthday in August.
The full list:
- Bryce Shuman of Betony in NYC
- Michael Fojtasek & Grae Nonas of Olamaie in Austin
- Zoi Antonitsas of Westward in Seattle
- Jake Bickelhaupt of 42 Grams in Chicago
- Jonathan Brooks of Milktooth in Indianapolis
- Katie Button of Cúrate in Asheville, NC
- Jim Christiansen of Heyday in Minneapolis
- Tim Maslow of Ribelle in Brookline, MA
- Ori Menashe of Bestia in Los Angeles
- Carlos Salgado of Taco Maria in Costa Mesa, CA