Several tipsters whisper that today is the true opening day for new Southie restaurant Loco Taqueria & Oyster Bar, and a three-day-old Instagram post from an employee seems to confirm this, although there has not been an official confirmation from the restaurant yet. (UPDATE: Yes, tonight is opening night — 5 P.M.) But based on various pieces of social media evidence, Loco did softly open over the weekend, at least for family and friends. The West Broadway establishment, which is obviously focusing on tacos and oysters, comes from the team behind nearby Lincoln Tavern and is located in the old Pan Asia space.
A few sample dishes that might appear on the menu, courtesy of Instagram:
- Tuna crudo with avocado, lime cream, and tempura flakes. (In the same post, Paul Desrochers, who is working the raw bar, notes that there will be oysters "with about 12 different flavor ices" and that the tacos are the "best tacos in Boston hands down.")
- Diver scallop ceviche with cucumber salsa verde and pickled habanero mango ice.
- Oyster escabeche with aji tuna crudo.
- Deep-fried street corn with Alabama barbecue sauce, buttermilk curd, and toasted chula panko.
- Sea bass ceviche with amarillo leche de tigre, green mango, and Thai basil ice.
- Charcoal-roasted pineapple with ash salsa, grilled scallion, mango, and chile de arbol.
- Charcoal-grilled pepper and onion, avocado, pineapple salsa, chile de arbol, roasted veg gastrique. ("Some off the menu shit," notes Desrochers, "cause we're told this is a place for creating.")
- At least four different types of margaritas, including a coconut one, a spicy one, and a cucumber one with muddled strawberries.
- Beef skewers.
- Charred pineapple guacamole, according to a tipster.
The restaurant is open from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. daily. No reservations. Update: Here's the menu.