Food & Wine has announced the contenders for "The People's Best New Chef", 10 chefs in each of 10 geographic regions of the United States. It's a reader-decided honor to go along with the magazine's own upcoming announcement of the "10 most brilliant up-and-coming chefs" of 2014. Readers can vote today through March 31. Here's a look at the Massachusetts names from the New England list.
· Carolyn Johnson of 80 Thoreau in Concord, thanks to her "simple yet extraordinarily delicious" cooking, which is "French-inspired" and "farm-driven"
· Tim Maslow of Strip-T's and Ribelle in Watertown and Brookline respectively, thanks to the now-very-familiar story of how he "turned his family's sandwich shop into a destination for quirky, umami–packed comfort food"
· Bjorn Somlo of Nudel in Lenox, thanks to his "terrific, sustainable food" that is "simple and accessible"
· Philip Tang of East by Northeast in Cambridge, thanks to the way he applies "locavore ethos to his inspired Chinese cooking"
Beyond Massachusetts, the New England contenders include Nemo Bolin of Cook & Brown Public House in Providence; Jeffrey Lizotte of ON20 in Hartford; Matt Louis of Moxy in Portsmouth; Matthew MacCartney of Jamestown Fish in Jamestown, Rhode Island; Cara Stadler of Tao Yuan in Brunswick, Maine; and Andrew Taylor and Mike Wiley of Eventide Oyster Co. and Hugo's in Portland.
· All coverage of Awards Season on Eater [~EBOS~]