In honor of Eater's Greasy Spoons Week, some chefs around town have come up with special dishes that pay homage to their favorite classic greasy spoon fare. Here's a quick round-up of each available dish so that you have time to plan out your week of gluttony, and as the week progresses, stay tuned for the stories behind each one.
· Anthem: "Spaghetti and Meatballs" — cashew-crusted tuna meatballs on top of rice wine-dressed soba noodles with shaved cucumber, carrot, and minted wasabi emulsion ($16/lunch, $26/dinner; available all week).
· Boston Chops: "A Tribute to Bill and Bob's Roast Beef Three-Way" — prime top round shaved thin, North Shore BBQ, American cheese, horseradish mayo; served on an onion roll ($11; available on the weekend brunch menu).
· Copper House Tavern (in Waltham): "California Po Boy" — Blackened chicken with pepperjack cheese, avocado, applewood bacon, tomatoes, and chipotle ranch dressing on a fresh thick-cut baguette, served with fries and house-cured pickles ($12; available for lunch and dinner from Monday, July 15th through Sunday, July 21st).
· Empire: "Griddled Cheeseburger Bao" — ground wagyu beef, good old American cheese, gem lettuce, Japanese mayo ($12; available by request during normal business hours this week).
· Gaslight Brasserie du Coin: A take on chicken-fried steak — chicken-fried Brambly Farms pork belly with a sunny-side up egg, breakfast radish, preserved lemon, sauce vert ($12.95; available at dinner all week).
· jm Curley: "Rocky's BBQ Chicken Pizza" with Vermont cheddar, caramelized onions, French fries, cilantro, and jammama sauce, a very potent chimichurri folded into sour cream ($14; available all week — or until it sells out).
· Met Back Bay: Baked, stuffed, loaded potato with bacon, scallions, shave aged cheddar ($11; available Tuesday through Sunday) AND "Steak and Eggs" — grilled 22-ounce prime bone-in ribeye with two farm eggs cooked in bacon fat with a baked, stuffed, loaded potato & red eye gravy ($65; available Tuesday through Sunday).
· The Metropolitan Club: Fois gras-studded meatloaf with potatoes aligot (gruyere mashed potatoes), shaved summer truffle, and summer truffle demi ($23; available Wednesday, July 17th through Sunday, July 21st for dinner).
· Olde Magoun's Saloon: "Not Yo Mamas Meatloaf" — open-faced Southern pork meatloaf wrapped in applewood bacon, stuffed with charred jalapenos and cheese, topped with frizzled onions, and served on top of mashed potatoes and grilled country bread ($11.95; available for lunch and dinner Monday, July 15th through Sunday, July 21st).
· Puritan & Co.: Waffled fried chicken sandwich ($12; available Sunday, July 21st from 11am to 2pm at the restaurant's first-ever brunch).
· The Regal Beagle: "American Chopped Suey" — wagyu beef stuffed with house-made mozzarella, basil, roasted garlic, parmesan and breadcrumbs, braised in tomatoes, peppers and onions, and served with housemade pappardelle ($28) AND a peanut butter and fluff sandwich coated with flakes, deep-fried, and topped with a strawberry sauce ($8).
· All coverage of Greasy Spoons Week on Eater [~EBOS~]