Last night much of downtown Boston went dark after an explosion caused a fire in a 115,000-volt transformer on Dalton Street, and restaurants are still picking up the pieces. "Patrons at dozens of restaurants were forced to flee into the streets," says Reuters. "Some people settled into candlelit restaurants to wait it out," says the Herald.
Some, like 5 Napkin Burger, have temporarily closed. Others, like Kickass Cupcakes, are offering Boston Blackout specials. And still others, like Poe's Kitchen have offered to help out their fellow chefs whose walk-ins are losing their cool. For a video of tons of meat from The Capital Grille seeing the light of day out on a city street see here: we're guessing the health department is going to make an exception for the bare hands.
Update: The Capital Grille was not intending to use the meat for human consumption. Details forthcoming.
· Transformer fire plunges Boston into darkness [Reuters]
· Transformer explosion sparks blaze, blackout [BH]
· Brian Poe [Twitter]
· Kickass Cupcakes [Twitter]
· Capital Grille attempts to save meat [BG]
[Photo: Twitter/Boston Fire Dept.]